Saturday, October 21, 2006

Ladder Street

Ladder Street is a quiet little street linking Mid-Levels and Central/Sheung Wan; function-wise pretty much like the Central/Mid-levels escalators as seen in this earlier post (<--link) except that it is all stone steps and human powered ;p. Taking Ladder Street is probably a way to save money on gym membership and stepper :-), or a quick fix for overindulgence in my case.
Say you are a DP blogger, an overseas visitor tells you that a certain street is his "favorite in the world", and that place is only 5 minutes away on foot, what do you do? :-) W, I hope you'll enjoy this photo.

Labels: ,

camera Hong kong

Comments on "Ladder Street"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (October 21, 2006 11:56 PM) : 

Here we cant see such ladder streets. The city locates on the plain...
:)
And its really a good place to walk, for our body. :D

..and if i hear such comments about one street near where i live...:) of course, go ....and watch..and walk there. :)

have a nice weekend.
...Jing

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (October 22, 2006 12:52 AM) : 

Lisi, you really made my day! After I made that remark about my favorite street in the world (and I mean it), I was secretly hoping that you would post a photo of it one day. Voila! The picture is beautiful, especially the green tree highlight. I don't quite know why, but I love this street. Thank you so much! :-) For HKDP visitors unfamiliar with Ladder Street - as you said, the "street" itself is not even a street; it's a series of stone steps connecting, I believe, Queens Road Central (bottom)and Caine Road (top). When I was in HK, I've walked from the bottom up to Bridges Street and didn't go further up beyond that. Except for Cat Street and Hollywood Road, I did not venture to the other side streets either. I love the view up and down Ladder Street from Hollywood Road. To me, it's a "street" with a lot of character and mystery - what's up above Bridge Street? around the bend at Square Street? Your photo today must be above Hollywood, because I don't recognize this portion; but it's lovely. Thank you again.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (October 22, 2006 12:56 AM) : 

What? Jing, did you say Shanghai is on the plains? This is too funny; you should definitely visit HK and see you are missing :-) Great weekend to everyone.

 

Blogger Meg said ... (October 22, 2006 5:42 AM) : 

I like what you did with the colours. Good job.

 

Blogger Denton said ... (October 22, 2006 11:31 AM) : 

I think, Ladder street is more interesting than the escalators. But I can assure you I would take the escalators. I'm not against exercise but I have my limits.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (October 22, 2006 3:06 PM) : 

Tres belle photo. cela me fait penser aux fameux escaliers de la butte montmartre pour monter au sacre-coeur (sauf qu'il y a aussi un funiculaire).


Very beautiful photograph. that makes me think of the famous staircases of the hillock montmartre to go up to the Sacred Heart (except that there is also a funicular).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (October 22, 2006 3:47 PM) : 

they say stairs are perfect for butt's shape and for legs too. So walking on this street you done the training too:)
I like the way you edited your photo. Impressive

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (October 22, 2006 5:49 PM) : 

Jing, I'm sure you would take a photo and post it as well, right?

haha, W, you're right, this is the view looking down from Caine Road, Bridges Street is probably where the green tree is; and on Bridges Street was where my mom's clan used to live. mmmm...maybe we'll see the other half of Ladder Street some day (wink wink). just about one or two blocks away and parallel to this section of Ladder Street is Shing Wong Street, where I took the September 1st Green Door photo...and yes, those streets are charming :-)

Olivier, nice comparing this with Montmartre, though in reality the places are very different.

Meg and zsolt72, recently I kind of like to tune down the saturation of the photos, I did the same with the orchid today.

Denton, same here...I only do the stairs when I want to punish myself LOL

 

Blogger Bob said ... (October 22, 2006 6:34 PM) : 

Hi lisi

Nice shot. Thanks for your message the other day and thoughts of 2 days ago. Very apt.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (October 22, 2006 11:15 PM) : 

I'm dizzy looking at this photo! Your pictures of children are remarkable - you have a real knack for it. I'm sorry you're feeling a bit overhwelmed with the responsibilities of adulthood - it is a rude shock, isn't it!

 

Blogger Citizen_Stu said ... (October 23, 2006 5:20 PM) : 

I've said it before but I love the use of colour with blank and white in your photos

 

Blogger Rodney said ... (October 24, 2006 5:07 AM) : 

Nice shot! Reminds me of Montmartre(Paris) or Codecal(Porto). Great.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (October 24, 2006 7:37 AM) : 

Is it green what I see at the end of the staircase? Just checking...

 

Blogger Cal said ... (October 25, 2006 2:26 AM) : 

Oh my. I used to live on Castle Steps (between Robinson and Caine Roads) and work in Sheung Wan so I got to know Ladder Street rather well. Climbing back home after work was definitely a work-out, particularly in the hot, sweaty summer!!

 

post a comment