Saturday, October 14, 2006

Chairman of the walk

I'm not sure why but the most noticeable figure in Cat Street seems to be Mao Zedong, his figurines are dominating several corners of the sidewalk. Mao was never a really popular figure in HK but maybe he has become a cultural icon, pretty much like people wearing Che Guevara T-shirt without knowing who he was? There are also quite a lot of Cultural Revolution related items on sale in the shops. (for more about Cat Street, see yesterday's post)
Link: wiki page on Mao Zedong

Labels: ,

camera Hong kong

Comments on "Chairman of the walk"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (October 14, 2006 10:40 PM) : 

no offense, at least che Guevara is good looking!
the red dragon china, I like very much!

 

Blogger Meg said ... (October 15, 2006 5:27 AM) : 

And just when I emailed you to complain about not being able to comment, voi la! Personally, I'll go for the Emperor, because he's got a better taste in clothes. Hee hee...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (October 15, 2006 6:13 AM) : 

I don't think I would pick chairman Mao, but I love the other figurines, especially the tiny ones. Great group shot.

 

Blogger Citizen_Stu said ... (October 15, 2006 8:29 AM) : 

But where is Waldo :p

 

Blogger Denton said ... (October 15, 2006 10:39 AM) : 

Recently I read the "Motorcycle Diaries" about Che Guevara's journey across South America. He certainly did not start out a revolutionary. Most of the book described a fun loving trek with much focus on where the next meal would come from. Maybe that is the basis for revolution?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (October 15, 2006 2:14 PM) : 

collection surprenante de figurines.
Che guevara reste encore le no 1 sur les tee shirt.

 

Blogger Eric said ... (October 15, 2006 3:27 PM) : 

lisi...this is such an excellent shot. Even in Paris we seem to be experiencing a new popularity with Mao Zedong. I love the way you remark on people wearing Che Guevara t-shirts as this seems to be a fashion thing more than a political statement. Maybe people are beginning to realise that these are just people too?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (October 15, 2006 8:34 PM) : 

hee hee...
so many Maos!!
so familiar view ...

...Jing

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (October 15, 2006 10:44 PM) : 

hehe, Kris, very true...

and Meg, very very true...LOL, that's a good one!

w, it's a good group photo right? at least nobody winks ;-)

Stu, right on, it would make a good Where's Waldo image...mmmm...good idea for a quiz photo!

Thanks for the footprints and have a good sunday/week wherever you are :-)

 

Blogger Matt said ... (October 15, 2006 10:55 PM) : 

Oh, am I late? Lisi has given her feedback to the footprints.

I just want to offer my surprise to the big collection of Mao. It is exotic even for the locals. I ought to take a trip around Cat Street this weekend.

 

Blogger Wilf James said ... (October 17, 2006 4:42 AM) : 

After seeing this photo I don't feel quite so bad posting all the photographs of myself!!

It is always a joy to see you in Réal DP.

 

Blogger Kala said ... (October 19, 2006 11:17 PM) : 

heyyy I spell it Mao zhe Tung - I guess I dont know my chinese but I like the figurines - wasnt he a powerful ruler of china? I guess I should read about him a little more

 

Blogger Michael Salone said ... (October 21, 2006 2:48 PM) : 

I guess I'm late too, but I really love this photograph so had to stop and leave a note. I look at your blog very, very often, but don't always comment. Please know that I'm out here watching and thank you so much for posting such beautiful photos with such interesting commentary.

 

post a comment