Friday, September 01, 2006

Photo #201: Doorway to...

650Why this doorway? Because it is there...or...because it is green.
And because it is a doorway to history, to life, to culture.

Also because it is a theme day today, here are the links to other doorways in the world:
Porto -Copenhagen -Trier -Hyde -Greenville -Trondheim -Manila -Williamette Valley -Cottage Grove -Alexandria -Kuala Lumpur -Guadalajara -Szentes -Sydney -Wellington -SharonAlbuquerque -Washington DC -Chattanooga -Antigua -Rotterdam -Portmouth -RydeSaarbruecken -London -Newcastle -Singapore -AlisoViejo -Seattle -Delta-San Diego -JakartaVallauris -Brussel -Seattle -Stavanger -Paris -Saint Maxime -HK, ie here -Oulu -TrujilloBerlin-Vantaa-Melbourne
Due to time zone differences and other factors, the theme photo may not be displayed until later. If you view after the date (also depends on the time zone) then you may probably find the theme photo in archives.

Labels: ,

camera Hong kong

Comments on "Photo #201: Doorway to..."

 

Blogger Pirjo said ... (September 01, 2006 6:46 PM) : 

For me this is the best of the day! I just love it, all those details and different colours and "because it is a doorway to history to..." I'd like to it bigger version so I could zoom in to see more.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (September 01, 2006 6:50 PM) : 

LOve it.. an ordinary lovely doorway with a story to tell and history I'm sure.

 

Blogger Liz said ... (September 01, 2006 8:10 PM) : 

I always like a Hong Kong taste, this door is really fascinating to me :-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (September 01, 2006 8:43 PM) : 

excellent photo, Lisi, and very nice caption !

 

Blogger Marie McC said ... (September 01, 2006 8:51 PM) : 

I like it!

 

Blogger PDPB said ... (September 01, 2006 10:56 PM) : 

very interesting shot - nice job ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (September 01, 2006 10:57 PM) : 

See Lisi, my dear, you are following green again. ;-)

 

Blogger Gerald (SK14) said ... (September 02, 2006 1:35 AM) : 

Good to see I'm not the only one posting a rather dingy looking door. They still talk history

 

Blogger jenni said ... (September 02, 2006 1:51 AM) : 

what a wonderful choice! I love the colors of this shot, the green & red.. the dingy door with such interesting details around it. where does that stairway lead?? Who sits in those chairs?? What letters are waiting to be opened?

 

Blogger Michael Salone said ... (September 02, 2006 2:32 AM) : 

I KNEW you'd have a great door on your blog today! Excellent!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (September 02, 2006 4:26 AM) : 

Something about it is sort of sad! I do like the color and the chairs in front!

 

Blogger Jazzy said ... (September 02, 2006 5:29 AM) : 

Great door(s) and I like the color too.

 

Blogger kaa said ... (September 02, 2006 6:19 AM) : 

the colour is attractive. the two cahirs, quite possibly new i suppose adds more charm to this shot

 

Blogger Bob said ... (September 02, 2006 6:32 AM) : 

timeless

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (September 02, 2006 7:23 AM) : 

Was the pic taken in Shing Wong Street (just above Hollywood Road)? Just curious!

 

Blogger Jean said ... (September 02, 2006 7:36 AM) : 

So artistic. This would make a wonderful painting. Good choice.

 

Blogger Rodney said ... (September 02, 2006 1:39 PM) : 

Nice shot! This shot seems to tell a story.

 

Blogger Sally said ... (September 02, 2006 1:59 PM) : 

I LOVE this photo. It is SO Hong Kong. I think it's my favourite of all the doorways. Very, very evocative. I can almost hear mahjong tiles clacking!

 

Blogger Kris said ... (September 02, 2006 4:15 PM) : 

i agree with Sally. I suspected you'll post something similar. Imagine 30-50 years ago it was the green colour was spanking new..nostalgia :)

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (September 02, 2006 7:35 PM) : 

piu, I'm honored, thank you very much

Liz, Sally and Kris, YES, this is very Hong Kong, and of a past era as well...Sally, good mention of Mahjong clacking, maybe I should make a recording of that sound and post with this photo ;-)

Kris, I've also seen lots of beautiful old Chinese door in KL and Penang, the Blue House in Penang is amazingly beautiful!

Rudy my dear, I know you know ;-)

Gerald, both are dingy but beautiful ;-)

Helen, maybe you're right, I think no body lives there anymore, the chairs are probably the neighbor's

Az, you know, I wasn't sure when I saw your question, but then I figured out it really was Shing Wong Street, my Grandma who had passed away lived in Bridges Street round the corner...do you know this area too

I couldn't thank everyone of you enough for the compliments and encouragement. ;-)

 

Blogger zdenka pregelj said ... (September 03, 2006 12:33 AM) : 

This is great find, beautiful photo. Like the green!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (September 03, 2006 10:26 AM) : 

You've made my day! It looks so familiar since every time I visit HK I check to see if it's still there, no. 17-19 Shing Wong St. I know the area quite well as Mum's family used to live upstairs, when they first moved to HK from Shanghai in the 50s. They later moved to Robinson Road, but Mum's happiest memories are of this place. I'll ask her what the shops below used to be. This building is amazing, if you look through the upstairs windows today, you can still see the traditional green paint on the interior walls!

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (September 03, 2006 11:39 AM) : 

wow, az, this is the second time this happened, that somebody related to the subject in the photograph actually saw my blog ;-)

Now I know this building is really from the 50s; and I'm sure my mum and yours were once in the same neighborhood.

This adds fun to doing this blog. Nice to meet you az ;-)

 

Blogger Felicia said ... (September 03, 2006 2:02 PM) : 

Hi Lisi, sorry I'm a late but I have trouble loading your page from my slow memory-less computer at work :P Great door & love the green!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (September 04, 2006 2:14 AM) : 

Lisi, Nice to meet you too! The shop at no.17 was a laundry shop in the 60s. Mum's forgotten what no.19 (the shop with the green doors in the pic)used to be. The building may date further back than the 50s, and every time we're in HK we're surprised to see it's still there, since many of its neighbouring buildings have either fallen down or have been been rebuilt.

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (September 04, 2006 5:36 PM) : 

Hi Az, Sunday night was family dinner night and when I saw my mom last night, I showed her the photo and asked if she knows Shing Wong Street (stupid question) and she said: what do you think! LOL

feel free to come often and supplement any information you know about HK here.
;-)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (September 05, 2006 7:04 PM) : 

Great door--It got a character - like an old lady. from az's comment, the place must be full of memories.

 

post a comment