Friday, September 15, 2006

Lanterns

450From now until the Mid-Autumn Festival, I think I'll show you Chinese lanterns from time to time, because they are colorful, romantic (when lit with candles) and represent fun time for children. I didn't realise the Festival is approaching until I saw this shop in Central yesterday.
ps. The Festival is on the fifteenth day of the eighth lunar month which falls on October 6th this year.

Labels: ,

camera Hong kong

Comments on "Lanterns"

 

Blogger Chantal said ... (September 15, 2006 7:24 PM) : 

great colors!

 

Blogger Kate said ... (September 15, 2006 8:21 PM) : 

Oh, how delightful--wonderful colours.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (September 15, 2006 9:03 PM) : 

I love these chinese lanterns! They are always very bright and colorful!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (September 15, 2006 9:21 PM) : 

love the photo, great colors.

how do you light candles in paper lanterns? just curious, are they impregnated with fire proof material?

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (September 15, 2006 9:36 PM) : 

good question Jazzy...it's tricky with candles and some of the modern ones are battery-operated with small bulbs, which is less fun. There are still many traditional ones around...and as kids, part of the fun is NOT getting the lanterns burnt or getting it burnt, that is especially true with boys; and either way it is fun. I'll buy a lantern and show you later.

 

Blogger DXBluey said ... (September 16, 2006 1:52 AM) : 

Hi Lisi,

I have to say I really like this lantern shot.

The colours are great, but the thing that makes the shot for me is the lady in the bottom third corner. This is great...

Cheers & "see" you soon!

 

Blogger Curly said ... (September 16, 2006 3:55 AM) : 

Another wonderful image Lisi. A riot of colour!

Curly's Photoshop

 

Blogger Carlos Lorenzo said ... (September 16, 2006 5:09 AM) : 

Colorful indeed. The presence of the woman adds up to composition.

 

Blogger Bob said ... (September 16, 2006 5:52 AM) : 

Lovely, I'd like them all please for our living room

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (September 16, 2006 6:25 AM) : 

They are much more elaborate than the ones I played with when I was a kid.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (September 16, 2006 11:18 AM) : 

LOL...its mooncake time! yum! yum!
i love playing with paper lanterns when i was young...it actually requires skill to light the fire on the candle and pulling the "body" of the lantern up w/o letting the fire goes out... =)

 

Blogger Jing said ... (September 16, 2006 1:17 PM) : 

:D
mooncake time is coming!!
the colorful lantern time is coming!!
:)
nice to see the lantens in HK...
i will post some when i found in Shanghai...

Enjoy your nice autumn time!!

 

Blogger Felicia said ... (September 16, 2006 1:54 PM) : 

Hi Lisi, I'm back at my "fast" computer :) Great lanterns! Are they sold in sets or do you buy one at a time? I like the little fish toward the bottom. Hey, just curious, I noticed that your "signature" wasn't on this photo. For fun, I tried to copy it, but it said that function was disabled, how did you do that?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (September 16, 2006 2:43 PM) : 

so colourful and vibrant! can see the design is diff than what i used to play with..memories...

Lovely photo, Lisi!

 

Blogger edwin s said ... (September 16, 2006 3:35 PM) : 

hey Leo sista!

yay, it's lantern season again! I've only had 2 mooncakes so far. I saw a green-tea mooncake the other day. I wonder what it tastes like.

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (September 16, 2006 4:57 PM) : 

when I first started taking photos for this blog, I used to avoid getting passers-by in the shots, but I later found out it's actually better with the them...thanks for pointing that out DXBluey and Carlos

Felicia: about the lantern, I must say you definitely have good taste, the gold fish is one of the all time favorites. About the right click, I ran a search for html code/script to disable right click, I don't remember where I got it but there's a lot out there. Disabling right click doesn't stop people from copying image, it just makes it inconvenient and there's no definite way to stop people from doing so.

Jing and Edwin, no mooncake for me yet, if I remember right I didn't have any last year or the year before...

Anonymous, Kris and Min, now that you mentioned it, true that these ones are mainly of the decorative type, I probably know which types you had, same as mine, and I'll show you later.

Everybody, I loooooooove these lanterns and your footprints ;-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (September 16, 2006 7:17 PM) : 

jazzy: most traditional lanterns are simply made by papers and bamboos... However if you hold them correctly, they won't get fire. Its also true that for kids, it is occastion to play 'danger' like candles...

'romantic' in Mid-Autumn festival: indeed, i would say that it is even Chinese Valentis's day. In old chinese time, girls specially those from good families were not allowed to go out and permission from their parents was given only in few rare occasions like this festival. Girls were thus happy to go out and 'meet' or 'see' boys in public places; same as for boys who were happy to see as many young girls on the streets... Correct me if i am wrong, Lisi ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (September 18, 2006 2:47 AM) : 

I love Mid-Autumn festival, in fact i love most Chinese festivals! I also love mooncakes...

Great, colorful shot Lisi!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (September 18, 2006 12:52 PM) : 

I miss those authetic Star Fruit and Rabbit Lanterns so much. By the way, we are going to try making our own no bake ("ice") moon cake this year. Will see.

 

Blogger Kala said ... (September 18, 2006 1:49 PM) : 

very colorful! I'd love to see a lantern lit up - that would be quite interesting

 

post a comment