Saturday, September 16, 2006

Back at the supermarket

450These are all soy sauce, a must-have for Chinese kitchens...dark soy sauce, sweet soy sauce, chili soy sauce, low sodium or premium...I believe there are even more varieties in the super supermarkets in the Mainland and Taiwan. For me, I don't have the bottled ones but a bunch of those little packets I got from sushi delivery.
If you are interested here's the website of one of the brands, you can also find some recipes there.

Labels: ,

camera Hong kong

Comments on "Back at the supermarket"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (September 16, 2006 11:55 PM) : 

from mustard to soya sauce...what's next? =)
btw, good take...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (September 17, 2006 12:55 AM) : 

Min: Oyster sauces,I hope.
Lisi: Can you post some? I've tried many brands of o.s. and find them all unauthentic,all"flavored" with oyster and loaded with starch. Do you know of a brand that is really good? Isn't there a whole island near HK where they mfr. o.s.? BTW, I tried, but mustard + olive is yucky :)

 

Blogger Ame said ... (September 17, 2006 1:05 AM) : 

It's mind-boggling isn't it Lisi? I swear, when I go into the Asian market looking for a certain kind of chili (Sambal Oelek) or a certain kind of my favorite eggroll sauce (sweet chili sauce used on chicken rice) I stand there for about 5 minutes looking at EVERY bottle! Only bad thing about this section of the market...the sodium content...have you looked at the amount in only 1 tablespoon of any of those bottles' contents? EEEEK! Great shot! (=

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (September 17, 2006 1:31 AM) : 

w, can't blame me, I told you mustard+olive is "unforgettable", literally...and here's something special for you Make your own oyster sauce recipe...good luck this time, :-)

Ame, you are absolutely right, I guess soy sauce is responsible for my mom's high blood pleasure, so go easy on it folks. You could be shopping at one of those chain stores called 99, right?
btw, Sambal Oelek sounds Indonesian, maybe Tanty and Santy know...

 

Blogger edwin s said ... (September 17, 2006 1:38 AM) : 

The saviour of all dishes! Nothing like a dash of it really.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (September 17, 2006 2:59 AM) : 

Lisi,
Your site is not only artistic, thoughtful and fun to look at, but very educational! Never occurred to me that one can make one's own oyster sauce. Thank you for the receipe. All ingredients look really good. Will try it out very soon and let everyone know how it turns out.

 

Blogger Bob said ... (September 17, 2006 5:07 AM) : 

lisi - nice shot of the soy sauce collection. We've got a chinese supermarket round the corner. I asked the owner which one his family use and bought that.

 

Blogger ~tanty~ said ... (September 17, 2006 1:13 PM) : 

Lisi: Sambal Oelek (Ulek) is a sauce made by crushing spices in a mortar.

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (September 17, 2006 1:25 PM) : 

W, you're welcome, but I suggest you to test the recipe with smaller portion of ingredients first

Bob, smart of you to ask...maybe you can show us the Chinese supermarket in your blog?

Tanty, thanks!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (September 18, 2006 2:39 AM) : 

I agree with edwin - for Filipinos a dash of local lemon, some chopped tomatoes and onions, sometimes with a bit of vinegar - yum! great dipping for grilled or fried fish, pork belly, or roast beef.

interesting shot!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (September 18, 2006 4:35 AM) : 

I never knew there were so many types of soy sauce.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (September 22, 2006 8:54 AM) : 

Lisi, I recognise so many of the brands there. The most top shelf, on the left, that's mushroom soysauce if I am not wrong. My mum uses that at home. 2nd shelf, that lee kum kee. I have that. 3rd shelf, I think one of it is abalone sauce. 4tth self, that familiar gray and red circle label soy sauce.

Guess they sell similar sauces in HK, Malaysia and Singapore!

 

post a comment