Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Zodiac animals

Aren't these beautiful? I think so even if they are a bit of cliche. These are some inexpensive lucky charms and pendants made of jade (or some kind of semi-precious stones) at the Wanchai market. Look closer and you'll see some Chinese zodiac animals, the rabbit, ox, tiger, horse and etc. I got one of those by mail from my mom years ago when I was in Canada. She said according to Chinese zodiac, that was not a good year for me and the charm would do me good. I knew that actually meant she missed me and couldn't think of anything else for an independent daughter who never got homesick. Well, now that I'm back in HK, I am near mom and that's better than having all these lucky charms ;-)
Link: wiki page on Chinese astrology/zodiac animals

Labels: ,

camera Hong kong

Comments on "Zodiac animals"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (August 22, 2006 8:32 PM) : 

Not only are the pendants beautiful; but also, the photo is beautiful!

As I am sure you know, Chinese knotting has its own vocabulary of knots and is admired world wide. I notice an example of the Pan Chang Knot in your photo. Since you welcome photo requests, if your run into examples of intricate Chinese knotted pendants, I would love to see them. TIA.

Ps. thanks for the " Brian's is funny" on BarcelonaDailyPhoto!

 

Blogger zdenka pregelj said ... (August 22, 2006 9:50 PM) : 

This is more than beautiful. The colors are great, the photo wonderful!

 

Blogger Denton said ... (August 22, 2006 11:59 PM) : 

My wife's mother would send her Virgin Mary statues or rosary beads. Very similar concepts I think to the Zodiac charms.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (August 23, 2006 4:22 AM) : 

Lisi: Great color and depth of field. I want this picture for my living room.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (August 23, 2006 4:25 AM) : 

my mother has mailed me 羌醋 when i've given birth my child, Lisi, it has almost made me cry... Oh, mother, mothers, we daughters are never easy, that i know only when i became a mother myself ;)
yeah, back from holiday, will check your blog frequently again.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (August 23, 2006 7:58 AM) : 

Awww! So sweet Lisi! My mom would send me food whenever I will go on vacation...anything she can get from the kitchen. I think all mom's are like that...very warm and caring :)

 

Blogger J. Andrew Lockhart said ... (August 23, 2006 11:37 AM) : 

What a beautiful photo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (August 23, 2006 1:25 PM) : 

Nice colourful shot, well done.

 

Blogger Sean Claes said ... (August 23, 2006 1:34 PM) : 

Wow... what a beautiful shot. Almost abstract. What an interesting subject as well.

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (August 23, 2006 10:56 PM) : 

BrianG, no problem, I will try to get the photo but you know what, actually I don't know what exactly is Pan Chang Knot...btw, I'm so glad Bob is (partly) back!

Rudy, I thought you wouldn't leave your footprint now that you have the RSS feed working...I thought wrong and you left 4 at one time! Thank you!

And I'm so glad Michelle is back, I really am!

Welcome to first time footprinter J.Andrew and seanclaedotcom; and thanks everybody for your footprints

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (August 24, 2006 12:10 AM) : 

"An independent daughter that never got homesick"... I think my mom wishes she didn't have such a daughter too! But we can't really change ourselves, can we... anyways, I'm now back in Canada (reverse of you) and am nearer to my parents too.

 

post a comment