Friday, July 14, 2006

People on the street

Uh......not quite a daredevil attempt of people shot...
There are a few daily photo bloggers quite good at "people on the street" photos, and I have always wondered how they did it without getting into trouble. I really want to try but I guess I won't see many happy faces if people know a stranger is taking their photos. Anywaz, here's an attempt yesterday, a scorchingly hot afternoon......34 degree.

Labels: ,

camera Hong kong

Comments on "People on the street"

 

Blogger Kris said ... (July 14, 2006 5:30 PM) : 

that's a good start, Lisi! for me, the zoom function helps a lot

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (July 14, 2006 5:41 PM) : 

Hi Kris...my camera has a pretty good 12X zoom but it's really a problem of mine -- not very steady hands I have...anywaz, let me know if anybody has some tips ;-)

 

Blogger edwin s said ... (July 14, 2006 6:28 PM) : 

yup, the zoom is a godsend! and a monopod/tripod or a bench, anything stable really. 12x zoom captures even the slightest movement. It's such a pain sometimes.

It's been scorchingly hot here too, and the haze came today!

 

Blogger Chantal said ... (July 14, 2006 7:30 PM) : 

the red cap is a nice detail in this almost B&W photo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (July 14, 2006 7:41 PM) : 

Hi there, just want to share my feeling about taking photos of people on the street... As an amateur (ex-amateur actually my lovely little Nikon FM10 is now covered by dust), I used to like taking photos of local people when I travelled. However once when i was taking a walk with my camera along Tsimshatsui habour in Hongkong the city where i was borned, i've noticed that a foreigner was trying to take a snapshot of me... well i knew it would be a photo quite cliché of a chinese girl with background of hk harbour... but trust me how i disliked it feeling like being stolen... Since then, I take more careful when taking photos of people on the street, either not letting the cible know, or asking for permission. Another trick (the best way if condition allows) is to stay or talk with the 'target' a while before taking his/her/their photos. I feel this a minimum respect of the others (no matter in a developed country or in a third country).

Regarding usage of zoom, i myself have never great zoom (70mm max) but i'm sure only training can solve the problem of stability... other than help of tripod...

Have a nice weekend to all.

 

Blogger Bob said ... (July 14, 2006 7:54 PM) : 

I've learnt how not to mind getting into trouble. It doesn't happen much (here anyay - I suppose there are cultural differences depending where you are in the world)

And since I takes lots of photos of unsuspecting subjects it's only right that when someone takes mine I should smile (automtically when the stranger activates their camera's "cheese" function)

Resting the camera on the floor is a good way of stopping camera shake - but you have to make sure people don't step on it, easily done by lying down and positioning your body to protect it:) Oh the lengths we all go to!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (July 14, 2006 8:34 PM) : 

Ok i know now that Barcelona can be our next destination as i know at least one Bob would smile at our 'cheese' button :)

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (July 14, 2006 11:03 PM) : 

Michelle, let's go Barcelona together, I do plan to go April 2007 ;-)......anybody else?

 

Blogger Kala said ... (July 15, 2006 3:24 PM) : 

I make sure I get permission before posting my people pics and some of my photos go to another website but otherwise, I do not post people stuff. =)

 

post a comment