Thursday, June 29, 2006

Timeless style

I walk past this well-known cheongsam shop in Central quite often and am always attracted by its show window. These cheongsam are of more traditional style and are hand-made by expert tailors who are, in my opinion, artists. The shopkeeper wouldn't let me take photos inside so you have to bear with the reflection...I don't have anything elegant like this, the only cheongsam I have is in cotton with Financial Times print on it ;-)
Link: Cheongsam on the cover of Life magazine

Labels: ,

camera Hong kong

Comments on "Timeless style"

 

Blogger midnitebara said ... (June 29, 2006 6:25 PM) : 

wow, they are gorgeous! Bought myself one when I visited hongkong , a long time ago and when I was slimmer. I still have it somewhere coz I still believe(yeah!) that I will be able to wear it again.

 

Blogger Chantal said ... (June 29, 2006 7:56 PM) : 

Culture it is, dresses like these.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (June 29, 2006 9:25 PM) : 

Lisi, would you wear one? or is this not your style... somehow I picture you as young and modern woman.

 

Blogger Natalie said ... (June 29, 2006 10:15 PM) : 

Wow, they look beautiful!

 

Blogger Bob said ... (June 29, 2006 11:01 PM) : 

Lovely. If only the shopkeeper knew

 

Blogger Bob said ... (June 30, 2006 12:13 AM) : 

Fantastic. I'd love to meet up and show you a few places - and perhaps some very attractive floors.

 

Blogger Marie McC said ... (June 30, 2006 1:17 AM) : 

Wow, spectacular dresses! I was a magpie in a former life and love anything that glitters!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (June 30, 2006 4:26 AM) : 

Beautiful dress and it looks expensive!

 

Blogger Nicola said ... (June 30, 2006 5:57 AM) : 

These are very pretty. Didn't know that they are called cheongsam.

 

Blogger Kala said ... (June 30, 2006 3:44 PM) : 

i didnt know they were called Cheongsams either and I would not know how to pronounce it - but these are pretty - I'm surprised they did not let you photograph them from the inside - that is too bad - nice photo even with reflection =D

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (June 30, 2006 5:54 PM) : 

Rudy, I'm young and modern and beautiful and slim and attractive...don't ever forget that ;-)

thanks all for the footprints ...Cheongsam is actually the pronounciation of two Chinese characters in Cantonese dialect ..."cheong sam" literally means "long clothes". It is also called "chi pao" in Putonghua...now it's getting complicated...if you're interested, search Cheongsam in Wiki and you'll get more details.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (July 12, 2006 3:13 AM) : 

Very beautiful Lisi. I have similar photos from a visit to a Vietnamese dressmaker's shop! I love all the colors!

 

post a comment