Sunday, June 11, 2006

Museum of Tea Ware

Do you like Chinese tea? This is a set of beautiful 17th century tea cups in the Museum of Tea Ware. Made with the then innovative overglaze techniques, they were decorated with 12 flower-of-the-months, from top left: prunus, apricot blossom, peach blossom, peony, pomegranate, lotus, rose, osmanthus, chrysanthemum, orchid, narcissus, and wintersweet (the audio guide told me). I wonder why Jasmine was not included then? (the audio guide does not take question!)

Labels: ,

camera Hong kong

Comments on "Museum of Tea Ware"

 

Blogger Kala said ... (June 11, 2006 7:53 PM) : 

Beautiful - is this porcelain? It reminds me of Cindarella for some reason.

 

Blogger Jenny said ... (June 11, 2006 9:26 PM) : 

Lovely cups - I wish I could examine each one closely! I'm having a caption contest (inspired by Mark from saintemaximdailyphotos) over at sharonctdailyphoto.blogspot.com.) Come one, come all!

 

Blogger Nicola said ... (June 12, 2006 12:19 AM) : 

Beautiful collection! Amazing that they lasted this long taking into account that they are so fragile. They don't even seem to have a scratch on them.

 

Blogger Mark said ... (June 12, 2006 3:02 AM) : 

Tea, what can I say, we drink it non stop. Well at least 9 to 10 mugs each a day, but our mugs ain't like these. These are so delicate and beautiful

 

Blogger Sam said ... (June 12, 2006 4:18 AM) : 

I'm having a cup of tea right now! And these are just lovely cups!!

 

Blogger Annie said ... (June 12, 2006 4:53 AM) : 

Ooh, to drink tea from a cup like this would be a beautiful thing.

 

Blogger midnitebara said ... (June 12, 2006 7:07 AM) : 

lovely! is ever I owned tea cups as pretty and delicate looking like that I would certainly not use it coz I might break it with my clumsiness. I would just display it !

 

Blogger Deetsa said ... (June 12, 2006 12:58 PM) : 

So pretty! I know all the flowers you mention except the wintersweet. What is that?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (June 12, 2006 4:56 PM) : 

Nice photo Lisi! I love drinking tea...and these cups will make it all the more special! Thanks for the photo!

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (June 12, 2006 5:15 PM) : 

Kala, they are porcelain I think...Nerissa, I find an entry for wintersweet in Wiki and it is called Chimonanthus as well...

Jenny, your new photo is very nice and I'll try the competition later...

thanks everybody for the footprints...I guess these cups would cost millions if they are up for sale but of course it is much better than they are in a museum ;-)

 

Blogger Kris said ... (June 12, 2006 7:14 PM) : 

dont know much about tea drinking customs, but this is a collection I would love to own..Lovely! Thanks Lisi for the info :)

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (June 12, 2006 7:17 PM) : 

oh i mean it is much better "that" they are in a musuem ;-)

 

Blogger Jude Calvert-Toulmin said ... (June 17, 2006 3:43 PM) : 

"want tha' one" *

great shot :)


*btw that is a quote from a british tv show called "little britain" for those not in the UK (probably all of you, LOL!)

 

post a comment