Friday, June 09, 2006

Lotus blossom

A lotus blossom in the Hong Kong Park. Have you ever seen and wondered why buddha is often depicted to be sitting on lotus leaf or lotus blossom? Here's a good explanation --
"...the lotus represents purity of body, speech, and mind, floating above the muddy waters of attachment and desire".

Link: previous post of a Buddha statue
A lotus in Szentes, Hungary by Kris

Labels: ,

camera Hong kong

Comments on "Lotus blossom"

 

Blogger Chantal said ... (June 09, 2006 6:36 PM) : 

we used to have them in our pawn, now the pawn is gone, thanks for sharing this one with me.

 

Blogger Mark said ... (June 09, 2006 9:34 PM) : 

Beautiful shot Lisi.

 

Blogger David Chow said ... (June 09, 2006 10:20 PM) : 

Lisi, I think if you can zoom closer should be better.

 

Blogger Nicola said ... (June 09, 2006 11:08 PM) : 

Lovely shot! I'm working on a website for a yoga studio right now and we're using a lotus like this in the design as well. Like the explanation!

 

Blogger Bob said ... (June 09, 2006 11:28 PM) : 

Lovely. The lotus is a very eastern flower and plant. I don't know if they grow in Europe. I'm a yoga addict too.

Don't really agree with Chris - the lotus grows in water and the contrast with the water and leaves highlights the flower. Now, a complementary close-upis another matter.

 

Blogger danne said ... (June 10, 2006 12:27 AM) : 

Ahh thanks! I didn't know that but I sure need the insperation to develop my buddahood. You gave me that today. Gassho. //danne

 

Blogger Cynthia Quiros said ... (June 10, 2006 2:08 AM) : 

beautiful!!

 

Blogger Felicia said ... (June 10, 2006 4:06 AM) : 

Beautiful flower and photo. I like seeing the leaves too. Were there any fish lurking under the water? There is a nice pond in Balboa Park with lotus flowers and lots of koi fish.

 

Blogger Deetsa said ... (June 10, 2006 4:02 PM) : 

I love these flowers. Always makes me think of the Ancient Egyptian creation story: before there was anything there was water. From this water around a single, pyramidical mound of mud. From this mound grew a single lotus flower. When it opened, the sun god, Ra, emerged and lit the word from the golden center.

 

Blogger Kris said ... (June 10, 2006 4:20 PM) : 

wise words :) serene and wonderful shot, Lisi! (i was thinking to post the same tomorrow :D)

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (June 10, 2006 5:29 PM) : 

Thanks all for the footprints...

Bob, if lotus and water lily are the same then they grow in Europe too...it definitely did in Monet's garden.

Felicia, yes, there are some koi in the pond but I didn't try to capture them, in photo I mean ;-)

Nerissa, I never heard that story, thanks for telling us

Kris, I'm looking forward to seeing yours!

Here's two extra shots of the lotus

 

post a comment