Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Door guards

There are some interesting folk tales about the tradition of these posters, but I only remember that these guys are generals of the Tang dynasty; and their images are supposed to ward off evil spirits. It is also important that when you stick the posters, the generals are facing each other to bring harmony to the house.
This is actually a display at an exhibition, we don't see many of these posters in urban HK now but I am sure the generals are still guarding doors in some suburb areas ;-).

Labels: ,

camera Hong kong

Comments on "Door guards"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (June 28, 2006 5:45 PM) : 

I absolutely like it :) Strong colors make this display a really powerful one. Really nice.

 

Blogger Bob said ... (June 28, 2006 6:31 PM) : 

Lovely shot. I'd put some outside our flat but we've only got one door

 

Blogger Kate said ... (June 28, 2006 8:28 PM) : 

Oh! Oh! I'm in trouble. I have only one, facing to his left. I got my beautiful poster from a professor during a workshop on Asian literature. Mine graces a wall on my stairwell and the warrior protects my home. I'd love to have another one, too!
It's a lovely photo--again!

 

Blogger Chantal said ... (June 28, 2006 8:33 PM) : 

great framing and cropping in this shot.

 

Blogger Alex said ... (June 28, 2006 9:37 PM) : 

These traditional guards don't look that frightening to me :-) Love the colors and details.

 

Blogger Marie McC said ... (June 28, 2006 9:54 PM) : 

How beautiful! I also like the five little red flaglets on top.

 

Blogger Deetsa said ... (June 28, 2006 11:12 PM) : 

I'd be a little intimidated if I was a spirit *S*

 

Blogger Edwin Sumun said ... (June 29, 2006 12:11 AM) : 

we still see some in the chinese areas of KL. the protectors of the home/property. great colours lisi!

 

Blogger Mark said ... (June 29, 2006 12:43 AM) : 

If I was a spirit, I wouldn't go in!

 

Blogger Carlos Lorenzo said ... (June 29, 2006 7:54 AM) : 

I have really enjoyed the info. I like symmetry and colors too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (June 29, 2006 2:44 PM) : 

Hehehehe they look really mean!

 

Blogger Kris said ... (June 29, 2006 4:31 PM) : 

Hey, Lisi!
back home, my mom still puts up the red banner at the top every new year..yup for safeguarding the family :) Nice post!

 

Blogger Kala said ... (June 29, 2006 5:25 PM) : 

Farewell My Concubine is the first thing that comes to mind when I see this because I just saw this movie a month ago - interesting custom!

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (June 29, 2006 5:52 PM) : 

Bob, you can stick two on one door, just remember to put them facing each other...

Kate, I haven't heard anything negative effect if there is only one...but I've never seen them on single though...

I almost forgot to photograph this, as Edwin and Kris mentioned, they are very common in Chinese societies...

Thank you all for liking this photo!

 

Blogger Ovelikios said ... (June 29, 2006 10:50 PM) : 

Nice blog. I alwaws liked HK, especially the Kai Tak airport (never been there, I just loved the planes approach). Some day I travel there.

See ya...g

 

post a comment