Saturday, May 13, 2006

TGIF - Lan Kwai Fong


This is Lan Kwai Fong on Friday night. For expatriates and locals, Lan Kwai Fong is a hotspot for nightlife; for tourists, it is a "must see" attraction as mentioned in guidebooks. It is almost always crowded with great atmosphere at night.

To me, this area is never the same after New Year's day 1993 when the huge crowds went out of control and 21 people were crushed. I was nearby that night but luckily wasn't able to get in. I still remember the many phone calls I got that morning when friends were trying to find out if I was alive.

Labels: ,

camera Hong kong

Comments on "TGIF - Lan Kwai Fong"

 

Blogger sassygrrl said ... (May 13, 2006 6:15 PM) : 

I've just found your daily photo blog. I love your photos! I've lived in Hong Kong and it was the best times of my life. Seeing your photos and reading the captions made me feel nostalgic. I'll be coming back here often to re-live my Hong Kong stint.

P.S. I used to live near Central. Your first photo post looks familiar. We might have been neighbours!

 

Blogger Bob said ... (May 13, 2006 8:37 PM) : 

Great shot. Swinging place with lots of action! I remember parties and nightlife but need my sleep these days.

 

Blogger Kris said ... (May 13, 2006 9:54 PM) : 

Busy and lively..Great shot! I'm like Bob nowadays, nightlife only once a year!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (May 14, 2006 2:15 AM) : 

That place seems busy and entertaining, perfect night spot. Sad story though than what occured in '93 :(
I like the shot a lot.

 

Blogger Sam said ... (May 14, 2006 4:26 AM) : 

How scary for you!
There is lots of light and movement here - lovely shot! I'm glad you showed it to us!!

 

Blogger micki said ... (May 14, 2006 4:41 AM) : 

Looks like a great place to find plenty to do!

 

Blogger Andrea said ... (May 14, 2006 4:43 AM) : 

Lots of action!!!
fun shot..

 

Blogger stéphanie et arnaud said ... (May 14, 2006 2:42 PM) : 

It's looks to have a great atmosphere here!!

 

Blogger Mark said ... (May 14, 2006 2:48 PM) : 

Its partaaaay time.

 

Blogger Nicola said ... (May 14, 2006 3:08 PM) : 

Too bad that you made that experience. But I'm sure there are also places that are not as crowded so you can have a good time! Great night life shot!

 

Blogger AlexandLisa said ... (May 14, 2006 5:45 PM) : 

As usual another nice colorful shot. And a cool one. We have hotspots for nightclubs here aswell. The difference is that you... well, can hardly tell that it is a hotspot =)
The nightclubs have a neutral exterior, not like this lit street. I guess there is advantages with both =)

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (May 14, 2006 5:52 PM) : 

Hi Sassygrrl, welcome to HKDP!

haha, I have to say I don't go there very much these days but I still like the party atmosphere.

Thanks all for the footprints!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (July 07, 2006 8:50 AM) : 

I'm not sure why tonight I chose to search for info about the terrible events of 31st December 1992 at Lan Kwai Fong. I was there that evening and got caught very much in the middle of it. The memories over time are luckily a little less raw and maybe I was hoping that somehow, someone, somewhere might have documented it and remembered those that lost their lives so tragically. It's a shame that it is my last memory of the place because LKF was very much part of my life growing up in HK and I enjoyed some of the best years of my life in the bars and clubs that lined the narrow streets. Anyway it led me here and to a photo that embodies what LKF should be all about. It's better I remember it for the many good nights spent with many good friends in places such as Thingummies, Yeltsins, Scotties, California etc etc. Make sure whenever any of you are there next that you raise a glass for me.

 

post a comment