Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Sugar-baked chestnut

The first time I saw baked chestnut in Europe it was like running into an old friend in a foreign land. Then later I realised it is a popular winter snack in a lot of countries. Here's how baked chestnut is made here -- with a big "wok" and some kind of heated small dark pebbles and sugar. A tasty snack but it will soon go out of season. I vaguely remember it is called Maroni(?) in Italian, just wonder what it's called in other European languages...

Labels: ,

camera Hong kong

Comments on "Sugar-baked chestnut"

 

Blogger perle de rosée said ... (May 30, 2006 5:10 PM) : 

Hmm! It must be good !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (May 30, 2006 5:25 PM) : 

It is "marron" in french for chesnut, "marron chaud" for baked chesnut, which means hot chesnut litterally.
I hate those, and the awfull smell that it make....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (May 30, 2006 5:51 PM) : 

in italian we call it "maroni" or "castagne". Usually you can find a little kiosk that sell it during the winter. In Milan you can find a kiosks near the Dome.

 

Blogger Bob said ... (May 30, 2006 6:39 PM) : 

Hi lisi,
Nice shot - they're cooked here in the autumn/winter. Today you've caught me without any appetite at all:)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (May 30, 2006 6:57 PM) : 

I love those!! I did not find them here in Argentina, but I remember they're really popular in France in winter time, and the Japanese neighbor in San Francisco is huge fan of them too :)

 

Blogger Chantal said ... (May 30, 2006 7:00 PM) : 

Looks more like somthing for autumn and winter.... nice photo though

 

Blogger Nuno said ... (May 30, 2006 7:16 PM) : 

Hi lisi,
we call it "castanhas" and they are double on size, you can see a typical salesman here

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (May 31, 2006 9:28 AM) : 

Yum! I love roasted chestnuts, too hot here though. I wonder what the addition of sugar would be like. Cool photo.

 

Blogger Kris said ... (May 31, 2006 3:14 PM) : 

i checked the dictionery, the hungarian name is too complicated, lol! the pic definitely reminds of home..yummmy!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (May 31, 2006 4:01 PM) : 

Oh I love baked chestnut! I only get to eat it in the christmas season! We call it Castanas in the Philippines! Yummy!

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (May 31, 2006 10:08 PM) : 

thanks everybody for the footprints...

 

Blogger Nicola said ... (June 01, 2006 4:37 AM) : 

I love them around Christmas time. You can put them all in your pocket and eat one by one and the ones you haven't eaten will warm up your fingers :).

 

Blogger Cynthia Quiros said ... (June 02, 2006 12:00 AM) : 

in argentina we call them "marrón glacés" I love them, they are sooo tasty!

 

post a comment