Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Temple of banyan tree


This is another big banyan trees on the other side of the KGV Memorial Park (see yesterday's photo) and the reddish bunch of sticks are remains of incense. I don't know the background to this practice but it is probably of the older generation to pay tribute to things with considerable history. Click here to see the whole tree.

Labels: ,

camera Hong kong

Comments on "Temple of banyan tree"

 

Blogger chillycraps said ... (April 04, 2006 5:24 PM) : 

I think there is a Chinese belief that there is a spirit living within every tree... guess those incense is for paying respect to the spirit.

 

Blogger Bob said ... (April 04, 2006 6:05 PM) : 

Hi Lisi. Lovely shot and nice selective colour.

 

Blogger Chantal said ... (April 04, 2006 6:40 PM) : 

Great editing, with the small purple addition.

 

Blogger Nuno said ... (April 04, 2006 6:49 PM) : 

Pretty capture, how old is that tree?

 

Blogger Amande said ... (April 04, 2006 11:42 PM) : 

I really like that black and white picture!

 

Blogger Toulouse Photo Day said ... (April 05, 2006 2:00 AM) : 

..I would like to play at "Tarzan" in this huge tree. Sorry, I don't know the name of "Tarzan" in english; Maybe the man of the jungle?

stéphan

 

Blogger Nicola said ... (April 05, 2006 2:19 AM) : 

Amazing how these trees grow! Are the thinner things roots or parts of branches? I can understand why someone would like to pay tribute to this tree. One must feel so small underneath...

 

Blogger Edwin Sumun said ... (April 05, 2006 3:01 AM) : 

The Malays also have a similar belief about tree spirits.

Lisi, your last three shots are amazing! This one I love. the ends of the joss-sticks...wonderful shot!

kualalumpurdailyphoto

 

Blogger Ggraph said ... (April 05, 2006 3:06 AM) : 

Lisi,
Great photos of the trees. They are quite large looks like they shade the entire street from side ti side. I love the night photo of with the incense.
Cheers,
Mark

 

Blogger Toby said ... (April 05, 2006 4:31 AM) : 

Hello Lisi, great pictures. I would love to travel to Hong Kong one day. Hopefully one day soon.

 

Blogger Rich said ... (April 05, 2006 4:35 AM) : 

They are fascinating trees...slightly haunting when the sun goes down...almost as if the branches become more alive.

 

Blogger Ash said ... (April 05, 2006 9:11 AM) : 

Excellent b&w shot!

 

Blogger midnitebara said ... (April 05, 2006 12:25 PM) : 

that tree has character. you are a good photographer.

 

Blogger Kris said ... (April 05, 2006 4:37 PM) : 

Not sure of this custom either but I do know you've a great photo of this !

 

Blogger G Fraser said ... (April 05, 2006 4:47 PM) : 

great photo! if a tree can be expressive (and I don't see why not) then this one is!

 

Blogger Ham said ... (April 05, 2006 4:48 PM) : 

Lovely photo and splash of colour. Little bit of trivia - the word "Joss" and in "Joss Stick" is from the pidgin english (which was actually a language in 19th Century China) for God.

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (April 05, 2006 5:25 PM) : 

thank you for the comments and I really enjoy reading them...and I am really happy that my photos make you want to visit HK...though I should repeat...don't come in summer, it's HOT.

I did try to find out how old is that tree but can't find anything, but I think it must be close to 100 years old.

And Ham, thanks for that info!

:-)

 

Blogger Brian Dubé said ... (April 06, 2006 5:01 AM) : 

Your two last photos are really very intense, and I love the detail on this one, with the color picked out...
Lucy

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (April 06, 2006 11:33 AM) : 

I just want to say you have great photos here~~ love them~~

 

post a comment