Thursday, March 16, 2006

The grandma of apartment buildings

I would say most apartment buildings in HK are not as beautiful as those in Barcelona or Paris. But older buildings built after WWII such as this one stand witness of a time when the city was striving to recover and practicality had all the priority. Not much design with this one but it is in the area where my grandma lived so I think I can show you what I saw as a child -- TALL buildings.

I took this from a small slope so the orange "pizza" sign is actually of the ground floor shop.

Labels: ,

camera Hong kong

Comments on "The grandma of apartment buildings"

 

Blogger Amande said ... (March 16, 2006 5:53 PM) : 

I love this picture : very authentic!

 

Blogger Bob said ... (March 16, 2006 6:40 PM) : 

Hi Lisi,

Nice shot and amande's right, very genuine + washing.

What is beauty anyway? Is anything inherently beautiful? Sometimes we (speaking for myself "I", I mean) have a preconceived idea of what it is and chase after it like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

 

Blogger Pierre said ... (March 16, 2006 8:07 PM) : 

Nice Picture. Am I wrong, it seems to be the typical architecture (at least as I imagine it) of Kowloon. Is that why it seems, you are right Amande, so authentic to us?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (March 16, 2006 9:15 PM) : 

The building may not be classically beautiful; but, the photograph is!

 

Blogger Cynthia Quiros said ... (March 16, 2006 10:23 PM) : 

beautiful picture! i guess the people painted it in so many colors no t to be depressed!
lisi: it took me like forever to load your blog!!(blogger is getting insane!)

 

Blogger Sam said ... (March 17, 2006 3:27 AM) : 

I really like the row of tall windows and the colors of the grills.

 

Blogger Simon said ... (March 17, 2006 6:30 AM) : 

When I think of HK, the word that always comes to mind is "teeming". Despite all human follies, we do have a genius, and part of it is our reproductive instinct. Like a parent can love an ugly baby (ugly in the effective sense of "that which repels"), we too can convert the ugliest surface into an object of loveliness to the eye by choosing to look at it with a different lens. This is one of the positive sides to life. Love your picture!

 

Blogger Wolf said ... (March 17, 2006 8:25 AM) : 

A very interesting photo with lots of detail! Well Done!

 

Blogger Nicola said ... (March 17, 2006 4:34 PM) : 

Very interesting photo. Makes me wanna look at all the little details.

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (March 17, 2006 4:47 PM) : 

Thank you...it is a surprise that you like this photo...when I walked down the slope and saw it I just thought it would be special as an eye-level shot of an old building. I'm so glad you like it.
:-)

 

Blogger Blamey said ... (March 17, 2006 7:41 PM) : 

All have their distintive charm though - and are a good avenue into the ways of life of a place - so interesting subject and pic

 

Blogger Denton said ... (March 18, 2006 1:19 AM) : 

Showing a memory of what your Grandma's apartment looked like touched similar memories of mine. My Grandma's house is different but the good memories are similar.

 

post a comment