Monday, March 20, 2006

Buildings of stamps

I am so amazed by this 4 m x 6.5 m stamp mosaic of HK's waterfront. The description says it took nearly 1 year for post service staff and their families to make, using used stamps collected locally and from 98 overseas postal administrations.

See the buildings in yesterday's photo? I almost couldn't resist posting multiple photos today, but click here and enlarge, you'll see the beautiful details.

Labels: ,

camera Hong kong

Comments on "Buildings of stamps"

 

Blogger Bob said ... (March 20, 2006 6:46 PM) : 

Hi Lisi,

Nice shot and very clever to make it link up with yesterday's buildings. Any washing in the mosaic?

 

Blogger Amande said ... (March 20, 2006 8:04 PM) : 

That's fabulous!I hope the poster will be protected against rain!

 

Blogger Cynthia Quiros said ... (March 20, 2006 10:02 PM) : 

wow breathtaking, and the detailed pictures are great!!

 

Blogger midnitebara said ... (March 20, 2006 10:59 PM) : 

wow, that is unique art. Maybe I can make something!! Maybe not, mostly I get e-mail than traditional letter by post so I wont be saving many stamps.

 

Blogger Nicola said ... (March 20, 2006 11:19 PM) : 

Wow, that's a truely amazing art work! And a great idea, too, reusing the old stamps!

 

Blogger Carlos Lorenzo said ... (March 21, 2006 3:14 AM) : 

Wow. It is aaaamazing! Specially when you go to the link and resize for details. I will recommend your link in today's post and think everyone will like this picture.

 

Blogger Ham said ... (March 21, 2006 3:42 AM) : 

I am just going to have to be the 5th "Wow". Is there any information about why, or where they got the idea? Totally fascinating, thnak you.

 

Blogger Wolf said ... (March 21, 2006 7:34 AM) : 

That is a huge wall of stamps! Very Cool!
Is that a LUMIX in your profile pic? Is it what you shoot with?

 

Blogger Missiz Jones said ... (March 21, 2006 8:15 AM) : 

Amazing idea, great result, and very cool photo ! I have a friend who works for the Communication Departement of LA POSTE in France...She's gonna be soooo jealous of the idea when I show her your photo !

 

Blogger Anne said ... (March 21, 2006 8:33 AM) : 

Wow I nearly can't imagine how they did this! I'm sure it's protected in some way...by glass or something? I hate to see grafitti all over it if it's not protected!

 

Blogger Denton said ... (March 21, 2006 11:30 AM) : 

Very impressive and great tie to yesterdays post. Midnitebara had a good comment. Not as many stamps used given email on online bill payment.

 

Blogger chillycraps said ... (March 21, 2006 1:27 PM) : 

this is so cool! and kinda sweet to know that it's the effort of postmen and their families.

Is it exhibited at Central?

 

Blogger hfkais said ... (March 21, 2006 2:15 PM) : 

Today, I was visit your blog after a long time. and discover your blog's new service, that is Translate service to Korean! I'm very thanks to you because don't forget Korean. :)

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (March 21, 2006 4:57 PM) : 

Hi everybody,
Yes it deserves a lot of wows, but my photo does not do justice to it. I'm so glad you like it tho'.

Bob: no washing, this area is too expensive for hanging out laundry

Amande: the mosaic is indoor in the headquarters of the post service

Ham: here's more info

Wolf: yes, it is my HKDP partner!

Missiz Jones: welcome to HKDP and please show it to your friend, I saw some French stamps in it :-)

Ann: not much protection around it but it is in the headquarters and there are only about 30 staff working facing it ;-)

Siu Hang: Yes, it is in Central, do bring your camera and have a look if you're coming to HK

Thanks again!

 

post a comment